We represent land owners/developers, special districts, industrial and manufacturing facilities, banks and other lending institutions, homeowners associations, owners and/or developers of shopping and retail centers, apartment projects, mixed-use developments, condominiums, hotels, hospitals and other medical facilities, nursing homes, office buildings, residential developments, resort properties, restaurants and unimproved land.
We are well versed in a variety of development entitlements generally related to tax-exempt finance or public-private partnership, including:
- Municipal Utility Districts
- Municipal Management Districts
- Water Control and Improvement Districts
- Various Types of Hybrid Conservation and Reclamation Districts
- Tax Increment Re-Investment Zones
- 380/381 Agreements
- Public Improvement Districts
- Ad valorem tax, sales tax and other governmental assistance for development
We work directly with members of the Legislature and their staff to secure passage of our clients’ legislation. Creating and enhancing special districts is a focus of our practice; however, we also provide lobby representation in the areas of real estate development, affordable housing, construction, juris prudence, transportation, healthcare, and many other matters relating to economic development.
Our work doesn’t stop with the close of a legislative session. Being top of mind keeps your agenda at the front of the line, and thus we maintain a constant presence in Austin with the Legislative members. We attend political fundraisers, interim hearings, and make regular visits with members and staff throughout the Interim period.
Our experience includes handling matters that involve:
- Creation and empowering of Special Districts
- Construction Contracts
- Borrowing & Lending
- Local Governmental Regulation
- Site Plans & Development Permits
- Traffic Issues
- Water & Wastewater
Representative Government Relations Experience
- During the last four Legislative Sessions, Coats Rose attorneys were responsible for seeking passage of well over one hundred pieces of legislation
- We work closely with a number of committees including the Senate Business and Commerce, Economic Development, Intergovernmental Relations, Natural Resources and State Affairs, as well as the House committees on Business & Industry, County Affairs, Natural Resources, Special Purpose Districts, Transportation, and Local Calendars.
- We also provide testimony at public hearings and practice in administrative proceedings before various governmental agencies.
- We coordinate funding efforts for clients in tax increment reinvestment zones.
- We assist clients in strategy for the creation of zones for economic development (TIRZ).