Brad Sklencar is Of Counsel in the Construction/Surety, Litigation, and Labor & Employment Law sections of Coats Rose, PC. During his 27 year career, Brad has successfully represented both large and small businesses in federal and state courts prosecuting claims and defending parties in all aspects of commercial and business litigation. He takes the time to learn his client’s business to be able to provide legal advice tailored to their individual needs. He represents clients in a wide variety of legal matters including commercial contract drafting, dispute resolution, litigation, general and professional liability defense, and employer/employee relations including drafting and enforcement of employment covenants (non-compete and non-solicitation covenants), and wrongful termination and discrimination claim defense. Additionally, he is board certified in Construction Law and Labor and Employment Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.
Brad has developed a broad general business, commercial transaction and litigation practice gaining extensive litigation experience in federal and state courts prosecuting and defending cases involving commercial contract and transaction disputes, banking law, real property law, business torts, construction, consumer litigation, employment matters, professional negligence, attorney discipline and malpractice defense, insurance defense, personal injury, environmental issues, international law and parties, intellectual property, and complex estate and probate matters. He has appellate experience in both state and federal appellate courts.
For over twenty years Brad has maintained a Construction Law practice providing skilled representation to design professionals, contractors, subcontractors, and suppliers on public and private projects, and for commercial and residential projects. Brad represents all of these parties in contract development, contract termination, alternative dispute resolution, construction litigation and corresponding surety litigation. Brad has also successfully defended licensed design professionals in related professional negligence claims and actions.
Brad’s experience in Professional Liability and Professional Negligence Defense extends to other licensed professionals and disciplinary boards. Brad has successfully represented attorneys, accountants, physicians, nurses and other medical professionals, psychiatrists, psychologists, and other licensed professionals and tradesmen in claim disputes, professional negligence litigation and before disciplinary licensing boards and governmental agencies.
Brad’s Employment Law practice also includes defending and prosecuting civil suits involving wrongful termination, harassment, age, race, or gender discrimination under the State and Federal civil rights statutes; administrative claim experience representing public and private employers and individual claimants before the NLRB, EEOC and TWC on labor practices, employment disputes, wage claims, worker’s compensation claims, and discrimination claims.
Brad’s Insurance Defense experience extends to litigation covering bad faith practices, property and general liability claims, claim coverage, agent misrepresentation, and life policy coverage and beneficiary litigation, acute care institution defense, professional liability defense, Miller Act surety litigation, and Employee Welfare Benefit Plan litigation (ERISA).
- Board Certified in Construction Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, 2016
- Board Certified in Labor and Employment Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, 2000
- S. District Court Western District of Texas, 1990
- S. District Court Southern District of Texas, 1991
- S. District Court Northern District of Texas, 1992
- S. District Court Eastern District of Texas, 2005
- S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit
- District of Columbia, 1991
- Texas, 1989
- J.D., 1989, The University of Texas School of Law
- B.B.A. (Finance and Accounting), Sept 1982-May 1986, The University of Texas at Austin
- Federal Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Washington D.C. Bar Association
- Texas Bar Association
- Texas Bar Foundation – Life Fellow
- College of the State Bar of Texas – Member
- San Antonio Bar Association
- Texas Supreme Court Unauthorized Practice of Law; Sub-Committee of San Antonio Texas
- Center for Legal Ethics and Professionalism – Member
- Selected many times as one of San Antonio’s Best Lawyers in SA Scene Magazine
- Named to the Texas Super Lawyers list for the years 2012-2017
- Represents and advises owners, architects, engineers, general contractors and subcontractors in all types of litigation including contract disputes, payment disputes, liens, negligence, and construction defect cases.
- Represents and advises corporations and other business entities in commercial disputes and employer/employee relations, including contracts, non-compete and non-solicitation covenants, hiring, discipline, termination, and policy compliance and development, including disputes before administrative agencies such as the EEOC, NLRB, and TWC, involving discrimination, retaliation, and harassment complaints, and defense of breach of contract and wrongful termination complaints and lawsuits filed in state and federal courts
- Represents and defends insureds in all types of property claims, general liability claims and employment practice claims
- Successfully defended licensed professionals before State licensing boards and administrative agencies in professional disciplinary matters, complaints, and other licensing issues.
- Successfully defended architects, attorneys, engineers, healthcare professionals, and other licensed professionals in professional negligence civil cases.
- Represents and advises owners, architects, engineers, general contractors and subcontractors in drafting and review of project documents and contracts.