John has developed or participated in the evolution of most innovative tax-exempt multifamily housing finance vehicles for more than 40 years. He has served as bond counsel, underwriter counsel, disclosure counsel, borrower counsel, housing authority counsel, and issuer counsel on virtually every type of public and private multifamily housing bond issuance.
As bond counsel, John has participated in several thousand multifamily transactions. These have included public offerings supported by many credit enhancement vehicles in addition to numerous private purchase, unenhanced programs.
John has extensive experience with enhancement and loan/grant programs with federal, state, and local providers which he is frequently requested to advise other participants in financings in which he or the firm is not otherwise involved. He is also a frequent speaker or panelist in the multifamily finance area.
John has been listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2017 (Woodward/White, Inc., Aiken, SC) in the area of Public Finance Law (listed annually since 2007), named the Best Lawyers® 2015 Cincinnati Public Finance Law “Lawyer of the Year,” Honorary Juris Doctor Degree Recipient from Miami University, 1992, Ohio Super Lawyer, Law and Politics Magazine, 2007–2013, and AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rating in Martindale-Hubbell.
- Ohio, 1969
- S. Supreme Court, 1977
- S. Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals, 1971
- S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio, 1970
- Honorary J.D., 1993, Miami University
- J.D., 1969, University of Cincinnati College of Law
- B.S., 1966, Miami University
- Association of Bond Attorneys
- Great American Art Show (Board Member)
- Greater Cincinnati Chamber of Commerce (Member, Governmental Affairs Committee)
- Hamilton County Democratic Party (Member, Finance Committee)
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
- National Housing and Rehabilitation Association (Board Member,1993–Present; Vice President; 2010–2014)
- Miami University Foundation (Board Member; Development Committee Chair)
- County of Franklin, Ohio $10,940,000 (Northtowne Apartments Project)
- DeSoto Housing Finance Corporation $9,400,000 (Hickory Manor Senior Apartments)
- Kansas Development Finance Authority $6,800,000 (Delaware Highlands Assisted Living Project)
- Mississippi Home Corporation $7,500,000 (Windsor Park Apartments Project)
- Ohio Housing Finance Agency $8,750,000 (Wingate at Belle Meadows Apartments Project)
- Oklahoma Christian University, Inc. $19,700,000 (Student Housing)
- Port Arthur Housing Finance Corporation $8,265,000 (Heatherbrook Apartments Project)
- Regional Housing Authority for Region II, New Mexico $9,200,000 (Airport Vista Project)
- Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs $12,000,000 (Creekside Manor Project)
- County of Guilford, North Carolina $4,000,000 – Multifamily Housing Revenue Bonds (Lake Road Project)