Laken is an Of Counsel attorney in the Public Finance section in the Houston Office. She focuses her practice on local government and public finance law, primarily representing municipal utility districts, levee improvement districts and other special districts as general counsel and bond counsel. Laken also represents commercial and residential real estate developers in the formation of special districts throughout Texas and in matters relating to the development and financing of property within special districts. Laken has been involved in creating approximately 50 special districts through the Texas Legislature.
Her previous practice experience includes representing oil and gas producers in upstream transactional matters as well as assisting clients with real estate transactions, including development, leasing, acquisition and disposition of real estate projects. She received a Bachelor of Arts in Philosophy from Sam Houston State University, Summa Cum Laude, placing 1st out of 1,398 students, and obtained her Doctor of Jurisprudence from South Texas College of Law.
Laken is an active committeeman on the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo Breeders Greeters Committee, dedicating countless hours to the planning and logistical management that takes place surrounding the Rodeo in order to support education and better agricultural practices. Further, she was selected as one of Sam Houston State University’s “13 Alumni under 30” for the Heritage Magazine August 2015 issue, showcasing the next generation of outstanding young professionals.
- J.D., 2013, South Texas College of Law
- B.A., 2010, summa cum laude, Sam Houston State University
- Texas, 2013
- West Virginia, 2014
- State Bar of Texas
- Houston Bar Association
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
Honors & Awards
- Named a Sam Houston State’s “13 Alumni Under 30”, August 2015
- Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo – Breeders and Greeters Committee
- “20 Coats Rose, P.C. Lawyers Named to the 2022 Edition of The Best Lawyers® in America & Ones To Watch, Combined,” August 19, 2021
- “Coats Rose Government Relations Attorneys Continue Successful Record in 87th Texas Legislative Session,”June 14, 2021
- “21 Coats Rose, P.C. Lawyers Named to 2021 Best Lawyers® List and Ones to Watch,” August 20, 2020
- “Coats Rose Government Relations Attorneys Continue Successful Record in 86th Texas Legislative Session,”June 17, 2019