Mattye is a Director with Coats Rose, where she assists developers with tax credits and bond financing, community development, and legislative matters in Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Arkansas, Georgia, Colorado, Oklahoma, Kansas, North Carolina, Alabama, New Jersey, Massachusetts and other states. She assists developers with strategy, securing consents, and transactional closings for Workforce Housing; Historic rehabs; 4% and 9% LIHTC transactions and commercial endeavors. She assists clients with public-private ventures including use of RAD and special financing. Mattye has supervised the handling of diverse legal matters before federal and state courts in the areas of fair housing, tax matters, insurance, landlord/tenant issues and civil rights discrimination and construction issues. She has also handled the oversight of employment issues, procurement, compliance and other public housing matters.
Mattye has closed transactions financed by 9% tax credits, as well as mixed finance transactions utilizing 4% tax credits plus bonds including rebuilding of the Gulf Coast utilizing Go Zone financing after the 2005 and 2007 hurricanes and assists clients with developments that utilize disaster relief funds. She has experience in the U.S. Department of Treasury’s New Market Tax Credit program, Community Development Entities (CDE), commercial and community development, legislation and governmental affairs. In response to a ruling by the Texas Attorney General that Public Housing Authorities did not have explicit authority to issue debt, Mattye was the primary drafter of the Public Facility Corporation Act, a statute that has been extensively utilized to facilitate and foster public-private partnerships for housing and community development.
Prior to joining the Firm, Mattye served as Sr. VP & Chief Operating Officer and as General Counsel of the Dallas Housing Authority (DHA). During this time, she managed the initiatives to leverage millions of dollars to revitalize distressed sectors of Dallas, Texas. She also coordinated efforts to ensure redevelopment through the management of tax credit awards, coordination of public meetings and supervision of historical clearance issues and other regulatory compliance issues. Ms. Jones has supervised the handling of diverse legal matters before federal and state courts in the areas of fair housing, tax matters, insurance, landlord/tenant issues and civil rights discrimination and construction issues. Ms. Jones is also a former Assistant City Attorney for the City of Dallas, Texas.
Mattye formerly served as Trustee of the Texas Political Subdivisions Insurance Pool Fund and is a former Chair of the Governing Committee of the ABA Forum on Affordable Housing and Community Development Law. She is the immediate Past-President of the Housing and Development Law Institute (HDLI), a national non-profit comprised of industry leaders focused on legal education. Her current community activities include service to the Dallas Assembly, The Real Estate Council, Dallas historical Society, Jack & Jill of America, and the UT Longhorn Alumni Band.
- Texas, 1989
- Mississippi, 2013
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- B.A., 1984, University of Texas
- J.D., 1988, University of Texas School of Law
- American Bar Association (Past Governing Committee Chair, ABA Forum on Affordable Housing and Community Development)
- Housing & Development Law Institute (Immediate Past-President of the Board)
- State Bar of Texas
- The Mississippi Bar
- Dallas Bar Association (Corporate Counsel and Real Estate Sections)
- The Dallas Assembly (Former Board Member)
- The Real Estate Council (TREC), Former Board Member; Former Board Member of TREC Community Fund, 2021-2022 Chair of Public Policy Committee
- National Association of Housing and Redevelopment Officials (NAHRO)
- Louisiana Association of Affordable Housing Providers (LAAHP)
- Texas Association of Affordable Housing Providers (TAAHP)
- Dallas Historical Society (Board Member, 2016-Present)
- Zoning Ordinance Advisory Committee for the City of Dallas Planning Commission (Former Board Member)
Mattye was named a “Changemaker” by the Dallas Business Journal in its annual Women in Business Awards. As a winner, Mattye joined an elite group of dedicated, driven and successful Dallas women that have a positive and lasting impact on the community in which they live and work. Dallas Business Journal editors selected the honorees from a pool of more than 300 nominations.
- “Mattye Gouldsby Jones on Opportunities in Affordable Housing in Dallas-Fort Worth,” Dallas Innovates, March 16, 2022.
- “Real Estate Rock Stars Share Insights on the Future of CRE in Dallas-Fort Worth,” DALLAS® Commercial Real Estate Magazine by The Real Estate Council and the Dallas Regional Chamber, February 2022.
- “Keeping Commissioners in the Know: Understanding HUD Repositioning,” Mattye Gouldsby Jones, Speaker, National Association of Housing and Redevelopment Officials (NAHRO) 2021 Annual Conference, October 7, 2021.
- Housing and Development Law Institute’s (HDLI) Virtual Commissioners and Executive Directors Training, Mattye Gouldsby Jones, Faculty, September 9-10, 16-17, 2021.
- “TREC Public Policy,” The Real Estate Council – Associate Leadership Council Governance Day, Frisco, Texas, August 20, 2021.
- “Non-Profit/Public Finance Corporation (PFC),” Texas Housing Association Annual Conference (THAAP), Austin, Texas, August 17, 2021.
- “Development 360,” Mattye Gouldsby Jones, Speaker, at the NAHRO National Conference and Exhibition, October 10, 2019.
- Faculty, Leo Dauer and HPLI Commissioner’s Training, Martha’s Vineyard, MA, September 2019.
- “RAD Evolution – Tools for an Easier, Faster and Better RAD transaction” presented at the 2019 Texas Affordable Housing Conference, produced by the TAAHP, July 23, 2019.
- “Anatomy of a Legal Opinion and the Ethical Implications Involved – ABA Forum on Affordable Housing and Community Development Law,” presented at the American Bar Association Forum on Affordable Housing and Community Development Law, May 22-24, 2019.
- “Ask the Lawyer” and “Whose Lawyer Is It?” were presented by Mattye Gouldsby Jones at the 2017 Public Housing Authorities Directors Association (PHADA)
- “Tax Panel,” presented by Barry J. Palmer and Mattye Gouldsby Jones at the 2017 Southwest NAHRO Annual Conference
- “Stay Out of Hot Water! – Key Strategies for Commissioners and Executive Directors to Avoid Personal Liability,” Mattye Gouldsby Jones, Panelist, Housing and Development Law Institute (HDLI) Fall Legal Conference, October 28, 2017.
- “Lessons Learned From Today’s Headlines,” and “2017 Commissioners Conference Ethics Scenarios,” presented by Mattye Gouldsby Jones at the 24th Annual Martha’s Vineyard Conference Co-Hosted by Leo Dauwer and Housing and Development Law Institute (HDLI), September 14-15, 2017.