Rex is Of Counsel in the Construction and Surety and Litigation sections of Coats Rose. Rex’s practice focuses on the representation of project owners, architects, engineers and contractors in commercial construction defect litigation, professional liability litigation, insurance defense litigation, and contract disputes. Additionally, he represents land owners and developers in real estate dispute litigation with particular expertise in easement, restrictive covenant, title, and purchase contract matters.
Rex’s first chair trial experience includes construction defect litigation, professional liability litigation, manufactured housing industry litigation, and real estate easement/title litigation.
Prior to joining the firm in 2007, he was both a solo practitioner in Austin and a member of a construction litigation boutique firm where he focused on construction, real estate, commercial, and general civil litigation.
Rex served as Managing Editor of the Review of Litigation while at the University of Texas School of Law, where he received the annual Best Brief Award for legal writing. He and his team also won numerous mock trail competitions, including a national title in the American Trial Lawyers Association’s National Student Trial Advocacy Competition—for which the UT tower was lit burnt orange.
Prior to entering the practice of law, Rex received a Master’s Degree in Philosophy, taught humanities in college preparatory schools, and was a member of the Jesuits for seven years.
- J.D., 2000, University of Texas School of Law
- M.A., magna cum laude, 1997, Texas A & M University
- B.A., magna cum laude, 1993, Loyola University
- Texas, 2000
- U.S. District Court, Western, Northern, Eastern and Southern Districts of Texas
- State Bar of Texas (Construction and Litigation Sections)
- Austin Bar Association (Civil Litigation and Construction Sections)
The Care Communities, Austin Texas:
- Board Member; Chair, Fund Development Committee; Chair, i Care Gala, 2006
- Vice President; Chair, Fund Development Committee; Chair, i Care Gala, 2007
- President; Chair, i Care Gala, 2008