Taheera is an associate in the Affordable Housing and Community Development practice group and the Cannabis Business Law practice group in Houston. Her experience includes drafting high-stakes legislation for state legislators involving the regulation of real estate transactions, agencies, and personnel; the production and regulation of hemp; banking and finance regulation; corporate governance; state and local government contracting and procurement; data privacy and cybersecurity; state and local pension systems; and state water regulation, including the creation of various types of water districts.
Taheera has also provided nonpartisan legal counsel to state legislators and their aides regarding prospective and introduced legislation. She has provided strategic analysis of legislative concerns to outside private attorneys, lobbyists, and other important stakeholders.
While working with the Texas Legislative Council she has conducted extensive legal research and analysis on various industries, including real estate, banking and finance, cannabis, government contracting, and environmental regulation. She was the primary drafter of House Bill 1325 from the Regular Session of the 86th Texas Legislature, 2019, relating to the production and regulation of hemp. She also negotiated, drafted, and reviewed employment and IT procurement contracts for the Council’s general counsel.
- Texas, 2014
- J. D. and Diploma of Comparative Law, 2014, Louisiana State University Law School
- B.S., Journalism, 2008, Southern Illinois University Carbondale
- State Bar of Texas
- Austin Young Lawyers Association (2014-2018)
- Austin Black Lawyers Association
- Lloyd Lochridge American Inn of Court, 2017-2019
- Leadership Austin Emerge Program, Class of 2016
- Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated
- Best Practices in Legislative Drafting” Continuing Legal Education presentation given to the Legislative and Campaign Law Section of the State Bar of Texas, December 2018, Austin, Texas.
- “The Health and Human Services Clarification Bill” presentation given at the Executive Women in Texas Government Annual Conference, November 2015, San Marcos, Texas.
- “The Evolving Role of the Drafting Attorney After a Bill Has Been Introduced” Continuing Legal Education presentation given at the Legislative Legal Services Support Professional Development Seminar for the National Conference of State Legislators, October 2015, Austin, Texas.