Accounting Clerk – (Houston)
A full cycle accounting clerk needed in the firm’s very busy accounting department. Sufficient years of experience to demonstrate knowledge in all aspects of law firm accounting or equivalent service industry is required. Ideal candidate will be expected to perform all task accurately working with a team of other clerks. Some college level accounting courses are required with proof of proficiency.
Based on firm policy and departmental procedure, duties may include:
- Conflict of interest checks in the database, open new client and matters in the time/billing system
- Process changes to client and matter maintenance
- Perform full cycle billing process
- Electronic billing
- Process time and costs changes related to unbilled time and costs
- Process daily disbursements from firm held accounts
- Daily Deposits and applications for Firm accounts, including Iolta Trust account
- Maintain and monitor Accounts Receivable and Trust Accounts, including reconciliations and security at all levels
- Prepare and distribute confidential and non-confidential records to attorneys, staff, clients and/or vendors
- Research application and allocation projects for all accounting phases
- Serve as backup to all other positions and duties within the Accounting Department, as needed
- Respond to inquiries from staff and/or Attorney, based on level of security and policy
- Maintain workspace and work product in an organized and orderly manner
Software proficiency in Word, Excel, NetDocs mandatory. Exposure to legal accounting software or software used by a similar service industry a must. Experience in Rippe & Kingston/SurePoint Legal Management System, a plus. Adjustments to workload are at the discretion of the Firm Administrator.
This is not intended to be a detailed description of the acts necessary for completion of each task required of the position. All members of the Accounting Department are expected to conduct themselves in a professional, timely and accurate manner under the direct supervision of the Firm Administrator and according to Coats Rose policy and/or procedures as identified by Management while maintaining the privacy of Coats Rose financial records of all kinds. This position will require a background check which includes both a criminal and financial search. Agreement to a background search is required before any offer is made. Compensation will be commensurate with the candidate’s specific criteria, including skills, education, and training.
Coats Rose is committed to fostering a healthy work-life balance and diversity in its workplace. Qualified candidates should send cover letter, resume, and references by email to Doris Shastid, Firm Administrator, at email@example.com and reference “Accounting Clerk (Houston)” in the subject line.
Legal Assistant/Entry-Level Paralegal – Public Finance (Dallas)
The firm’s public finance practice group is seeking candidates for a legal assistant/entry-level paralegal position for the Dallas office. The person hired will assist attorneys working within the areas of public law and real estate in the creation and administration of municipal utility districts (MUDs) and public improvement districts (PIDs) throughout the State of Texas.
Position Responsibilities may include, but are not necessarily limited, to the following:
- Work closely with and take directions from the senior paralegal, two associate attorneys, and a partner.
- Assist attorneys and senior paralegal with drafting, preparing, and filing of pertinent documents.
- Perform relevant legal research.
- Prepare agendas and minutes for MUD Board of Directors meetings.
- Prepare for MUD Board of Directors meetings, including preparation of necessary documents for approval.
- Attend MUD Board of Directors meetings and take notes for minutes (sometimes during lunch or evening hours).
- Organize meeting file and follow up on all documents from meeting.
- Stay up to date on relevant rules and legislation related to MUDs.
- Assist with completion of insurance renewal proposals.
- File annual financial report with appropriate agencies.
- Assist with annual setting of tax rate, including publication of notices.
- Assist with regulatory compliance.
- Keep track of any and all filing requirements.
- Create and implement electronic records management system.
- Create and implement document tracking system.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- The ideal candidate will have familiarity/experience with real estate development or transactions.
- Excellent organizational, communication, analytical, and critical thinking skills.
- Ability to work independently, plan, and take initiative to accomplish objectives in a timely manner.
- Must be a team player and have the ability to follow directions and instructions while effectively and efficiently using firm resources.
- This is a sedentary position and requires minimal standing, walking, stooping and movement or lifting of items up to 10 pounds.
- The firm’s hours are from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday but this job may require overtime, evening hours, and working through lunch to attend meetings.
- Reliable personal transportation for traveling to and from Board meetings.
Compensation will be commensurate with experience.
Coats Rose is committed to fostering a healthy work-life balance and diversity in its workplace. Qualified candidates should send cover letter, resume, and references by email to Rex Zgarba, Human Resources Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org and reference “Legal Assistant-Public Finance (Dallas)” in the subject line.