Coats Rose is a mid-sized transactional and litigation law firm focused on development: the development of real estate, affordable housing, special purpose districts, business and private wealth. For over 30 years, the firm has provided legal counsel to businesses, governmental entities corporate and high-net worth clients across the U.S. and internationally. The firm was recently named to the 2020 Best Law Firms list by Best Lawyers and US News & World Report for national and metropolitan rankings.
Legal Assistant/Paralegal – Public Finance (Houston)
The firm’s public finance practice group is seeking candidates for a legal assistant/paralegal position for the Houston office. This person hired will assist attorneys working within the areas of public law and real estate in the creation and administration of municipal utility districts (MUDs) and public improvement districts (PIDs) throughout the State of Texas.
Position Responsibilities may include, but are not necessarily limited, to the following:
- Work closely with and take directions from the senior paralegal, three associate attorneys, and a partner.
- Assist attorneys and senior paralegal with drafting, preparing, and filing of pertinent documents.
- Perform relevant legal research.
- Prepare agendas and minutes for MUD Board of Directors meetings.
- Prepare for MUD Board of Directors meetings, including preparation of necessary documents.
- Attend MUD Board of Directors meetings and take notes for minutes (sometimes during lunch or evening hours).
- Organize meeting file and follow up on all documents from meeting.
- Stay up to date on relevant rules and legislation related to MUDs.
- Assist with completion of insurance renewal proposals.
- File annual financial report with appropriate agencies.
- Assist with annual setting of tax rate, including publication of notices.
- Assist with regulatory compliance.
- Keep track of any and all filing requirements.
- Create and implement electronic records management system.
- Create and implement document tracking system.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- The ideal candidate will have familiarity/experience with real estate development or transactions.
- Excellent organizational, communication, analytical, and critical thinking skills.
- Ability to work independently, plan, and take initiative to accomplish objectives in a timely manner.
- Must be a team player and have the ability to follow directions and instructions while effectively and efficiently using firm resources.
- This is a sedentary position within our office located in the Greenway Plaza complex and requires minimal standing, walking, stooping and movement or lifting of items up to 10 pounds.
- The firm’s hours are from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday but this job may require overtime, evening hours, and working through lunch to attend meetings.
- Reliable personal transportation for traveling to and from Board meetings.
All levels of experience will be considered. Compensation will be commensurate with experience.
Coats Rose is committed to fostering a healthy work-life balance and diversity in its workplace. Qualified candidates should send cover letter, resume, and references by email to Rex Zgarba, Human Resources Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org and reference “Legal Assistant-Public Finance (Houston)” in the subject line.
Legal Assistant – Public Finance (Houston, TX)
We are currently seeking candidates for a Legal Assistant for our Houston, Texas, office. The ideal candidate will have a direct background in public finance/water and utility districts.
Summary of Duties: Legal Assistants in the Public Finance Department attend meetings of the Boards of Directors of our municipal utility district clients, take notes of the occurrences at the meetings, and prepare minutes of the meetings. The Legal Assistant is responsible for preparing a list of the orders and resolutions required for each meeting and drafting those documents. The Legal Assistant interacts with the Directors of the districts as well as the other consultants to the districts, including engineers, operators, bookkeepers, and tax assessor/collectors. In addition, when the districts sell bonds the Legal Assistant is responsible for preparing the required documents and assembling them into a transcript to be sent to the Attorney General of Texas. The Legal Assistant also prepares documents for obtaining the approval for annexation of land to districts and administers the applications for such approval. The work could involve evening meetings that take place out in the districts; therefore, personal transportation is a requirement of the job.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following, although other duties could be assigned as needed:
- Attend meetings of the Board of Directors
- Prepare the agendas for Board of Directors Prepare multi-lingual agendas for election matters.
- Ensure that the Board of Directors follows proper legal procedures at meetings (such as not entering into executive session inappropriately).
- Prepare minutes of the Board meetings.
- Review legislation and inform the Board about new requirements.
- Review new rules from the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality and inform the Board.
- Assist with the renewal of insurance.
- Prepare documents for the annual tax exemptions and assessing the 20% collection charges on delinquent accounts.
- Keep track of filing requirements, such as the Registration Form due at least every two years and the Water Loss Audit due every five years.
- Review the Annual Financial Report and file with the appropriate agencies.
- Provide documents for the required annual review of investment policies and investment strategies; prepare required resolution.
- Assist with preparation of the Water Quality Report.
- File the annual continuing disclosure due pursuant to Securities and Exchange Commission Rule 15(c)2-12.
- Assist with the annual setting of the tax rate, including preparation of the Order Levying Taxes and amendment to the Information Form.
- Assist with the annual Operating Budget for the District.
- Maintain District files and permanent documents.
- Review and finalize contracts.
- Record all billable hours on the firm’s tracking system in a timely manner.
Qualifications: The ideal candidate for the Public Finance Legal Assistant will have good listening skills and excellent writing and grammar skills. The Legal Assistant must be able to handle multiple deadlines and to be attentive to details. The Legal Assistant must work with a wide variety of professional personnel with professional questions and to respond from time to time to customers of districts who might have complaints.
Education Requirements: college degree or paralegal certificate required
Necessary Skills: The ideal candidate will be accustomed to preparing documents in Word using a net-worked system. On-site training in Net Documents and our time-keeping programs will be provided. A writing sample will be required at first interview.
Coats Rose is committed to fostering a healthy work-life balance and diversity in its workplace. Qualified candidates should send cover letter, resume, and references by email to Rex Zgarba, Human Resources Manager, at email@example.com and reference “Legal Assistant-Public Finance (Houston)” in the subject line
Legal File Clerk (Houston)
We are currently seeking an experienced File Clerk for our Houston, Texas office.
- Creating new client files;
- Maintaining and updating client files;
- Archiving and preparing files for storage;
- Lift and move heavy boxes, folders, and binders to and from basement storage;
- Assisting Legal Secretary and Attorneys with various requests including scanning, document retrieval, and setting up for meetings;
- Serve as backup for Legal Secretary when needed; and
- Other job-related duties as assigned.
- Two years working as a legal File Clerk is preferred;
- Experience working with both physical and electronic files is preferred;
- Excellent Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook skills are required;
- Experience working with document management systems is required;
- Must be able to lift and move boxes and items up to 30 pounds on a daily basis.
Compensation will commensurate with experience.
Coats Rose is committed to fostering a healthy work-life balance and diversity in its workplace. Qualified candidates should send cover letter, resume, and references by email to Rex Zgarba, Human Resources Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org and reference “Legal File Clerk (Houston)” in the subject line.