Coats Rose is a mid-sized transactional and litigation law firm focused on development: the development of real estate, affordable housing, special purpose districts, business and private wealth. For over 30 years, the firm has provided legal counsel to businesses, governmental entities corporate and high-net worth clients across the U.S. and internationally. The firm was recently named to the 2020 Best Law Firms list by Best Lawyers and US News & World Report for national and metropolitan rankings.
Accounting Clerk (Houston)
We are currently seeking candidates for an Accounting Clerk opening in the Houston, Texas main office. This candidate must have at least five (5) recent years as an Accounting Clerk in a Law Firm.
Job Responsibilities include:
- Daily deposits, applications and transfers
- Client Trust applications and refunds
- Accounts Receivable monitoring
- Legal Billing, including electronic billing
- Responsibly address inquiries from Clients, Attorneys and Staff
- Serve as backup to other accounting staff, as needed
- Other related research and reporting, as assigned
Required Skills and Experience:
- Experience using SurePoint (f/k/a Rippe & Kingston) accounting software, or similar
- Full cycle accounting process in a law firm
- High proficiency in all Microsoft Office Suite applications
- Excellent typing and editing skills required
- Experience working with NetDocs or other document management system
- Able to perform the responsibilities in a proactive, independent manner within the team environment
- Able to handle seasons of high pressure with a positive attitude
- Excellent, organizational, communication, analytical and critical thinking skills
Compensation will commensurate with experience. Background check required.
Please email cover letter and resume to DShastid@CoatsRose.com and reference “Accounting Clerk-Houston” in the subject line.
Legal Assistant – Public Finance (Houston, TX)
We are currently seeking candidates for a Legal Assistant for our Houston, Texas, office. The ideal candidate will have a direct background in public finance/water and utility districts.
Summary of Duties: Legal Assistants in the Public Finance Department attend meetings of the Boards of Directors of our municipal utility district clients, take notes of the occurrences at the meetings, and prepare minutes of the meetings. The Legal Assistant is responsible for preparing a list of the orders and resolutions required for each meeting and drafting those documents. The Legal Assistant interacts with the Directors of the districts as well as the other consultants to the districts, including engineers, operators, bookkeepers, and tax assessor/collectors. In addition, when the districts sell bonds the Legal Assistant is responsible for preparing the required documents and assembling them into a transcript to be sent to the Attorney General of Texas. The Legal Assistant also prepares documents for obtaining the approval for annexation of land to districts and administers the applications for such approval. The work could involve evening meetings that take place out in the districts; therefore, personal transportation is a requirement of the job.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following, although other duties could be assigned as needed:
- Attend meetings of the Board of
- Prepare the agendas for Board of Directors Prepare multi-lingual agendas for election matters.
- Ensure that the Board of Directors follows proper legal procedures at meetings (such as not entering into executive session inappropriately).
- Prepare minutes of the Board
- Review legislation and inform the Board about new
- Review new rules from the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality and inform the
- Assist with the renewal of
- Prepare documents for the annual tax exemptions and assessing the 20% collection charges on delinquent
- Keep track of filing requirements, such as the Registration Form due at least every two years and the Water Loss Audit due every five
- Review the Annual Financial Report and file with the appropriate
- Provide documents for the required annual review of investment policies and investment strategies; prepare required
- Assist with preparation of the Water Quality
- File the annual continuing disclosure due pursuant to Securities and Exchange Commission Rule 15(c)2-12.
- Assist with the annual setting of the tax rate, including preparation of the Order Levying Taxes and amendment to the Information
- Assist with the annual Operating Budget for the
- Maintain District files and permanent
- Review and finalize
- Record all billable hours on the firm’s tracking system in a timely
Qualifications: The ideal candidate for the Public Finance Legal Assistant will have good listening skills and excellent writing and grammar skills. The Legal Assistant must be able to handle multiple deadlines and to be attentive to details. The Legal Assistant must work with a wide variety of professional personnel with professional questions and to respond from time to time to customers of districts who might have complaints.
Education Requirements: college degree or paralegal certificate required
Necessary Skills: The ideal candidate will be accustomed to preparing documents in Word using a net-worked system. On-site training in Net Documents and our time-keeping programs will be provided. A writing sample will be required at first interview.
Please email cover letter and resume to DShastid@CoatsRose.com and reference “Legal Assistant-Public Finance” in the subject line.
Legal Secretary (Austin, TX)
We are currently seeking candidates for a Legal Secretary for our Austin, Texas, office. The ideal candidate will have a background in transactional law and litigation. Experience with the following practice areas is preferred: real estate, land use/entitlements, banking, and corporate/business law.
Job Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Providing direct secretarial support to (3) three Directors and (2) two contract attorneys;
- General administrative duties such as answering phones, word processing, making copies, filing documents, time entry, and calendaring;
- Electronic and physical file and document management;
- Filing transaction-related documents with appropriate jurisdiction records division and litigation-related documents with the appropriate courts;
- Filing corporate, UCC, and other transactional documents with the Secretary of State;
- Other related duties as assigned.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Ability to perform the above duties in a proactive, independent manner;
- At least two (2) years of experience as a Legal Secretary with a preferred background in transactional law (real estate closings, loan packages, corporate formations, property records searches and filings) and litigation law (court record searches and filings, assisting with pleading, discovery, and motion preparation);
- High proficiency in all Microsoft Office Suite applications;
- Excellent typing and editing skills required;
- Experience working with NetDocs or other document management system strongly preferred;
- Excellent, organizational, communication, analytical and critical thinking skills;
- A positive attitude and desire to be part of a team;
- This is a sedentary position and requires minimal standing, walking, stooping and movement or lifting of items up to 10 pounds.
Compensation will commensurate with experience.
Please email cover letter and resume to DShastid@CoatsRose.com and reference “Legal Secretary-Austin” in the subject line.
Legal File Clerk (Houston)
We are currently seeking an experienced File Clerk for our Houston, Texas office.
- Creating new client files;
- Maintaining and updating client files;
- Archiving and preparing files for storage;
- Lift and move heavy boxes, folders, and binders to and from basement storage;
- Assisting Legal Secretary and Attorneys with various requests including scanning, document retrieval, and setting up for meetings;
- Serve as backup for Legal Secretary when needed; and
- Other job-related duties as assigned.
- Two years working as a legal File Clerk is preferred;
- Experience working with both physical and electronic files is preferred;
- Excellent Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook skills are required;
- Experience working with document management systems is required;
- Must be able to lift and move boxes and items up to 30 pounds on a daily basis.
Compensation will commensurate with experience.
To apply, please email DShastid@CoatsRose.com and reference “Houston Legal File Clerk” in the subject line.